Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice Recipe-Learn in Simple Steps:- Authentic Cajun taste! Louisiana is where I grew up, and I love red beans and rice. These are just like the ones I remember. For a little kick, serve with hot sauce. A little cider vinegar splashed in each bowl was a family favourite.
Want a spicy rice dish that will fill you up? This authentic Louisiana red beans and rice recipe is easy on the wallet and tastes great. In this down-home recipe, fresh vegetables from the garden, tangy spices and long grain rice are all mixed together with andouille sausage. Find out all about this very salty dish, including how to pick the best beans and what to serve with them.
Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice Recipe-Learn in Simple Steps
How to Make Red Beans and Rice
- Putting together this Louisiana-style red beans and rice recipe is easier if you do it in small steps.
- Before you look at the full, step-by-step recipe, let me give you a quick idea of what to expect:
- Soak your beans overnight and cut up any vegetables ahead of time.
- Move the soaked beans to a large pot with water when you’re ready to start.
- Next, heat some oil in a skillet and add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and celery.
- Cook them until they start to turn a little colour.
- Place the cooked vegetables on top of the beans.
- Add the bay leaves, Cajun seasoning, and other spices.
- Bring the beans and other ingredients to a boil, then lower the heat and let them cook slowly for two to two and a half hours.
- Now is the time to steam the rice and set it aside.
- After the beans have been cooking for half an hour, add the Andouille sausage.
- When the food is done, pour the hot sausage and beans over the rice.
- Enjoy a bowl that is tender, meaty and full of flavour.
Red Beans vs. Kidney Beans
- Even though they look like the same colour, red beans and kidney beans are not the same kind of legume.
- Red beans are round and small.
- They taste slightly nutty.
- The skin on red kidney beans is thicker and the colour is a little darker.
- For a tasty red beans and rice dish, you can use either canned or dried kidney beans.
- If you use dried kidney beans, you may need to soak them for longer before cooking.
- When you use dry beans in this recipe, they will keep their shape while they’re cooking.
How to Soak Beans
- Before cooking, dried beans should be soaked so that they are easier to digest and cook faster.
- Most of the time, people soak beans in water for two hours or overnight.
- The overnight method is very easy: just put the beans in a big pot and cover them with water that is twice their volume.
- Put a lid on it and leave it overnight.
- For quick soaking, bring water and dried beans to a boil, then take the pot off the heat and let the beans sit for one to four hours, or until they’re easy to squeeze.
What to Serve With Red Beans and Rice
- This recipe for red beans and rice can be used as either a main dish or a side dish.
- The big, hearty flavours go well with fried chicken, cornbread, collard greens, and meats that have been grilled.
How to Store Leftover Red Beans and Rice
- To keep them from getting mushy, leftover red beans should be kept away from rice.
- Put each part in its own sealed container and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
- To freeze leftovers, put cooled single servings of rice into freezer bags and add the same amount of beans on top of each one.
- Close the bags up well, and you can freeze them for up to three months.
- 1 pound of dry blue beans
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut up
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 stalks of celery, cut up
- 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
- 6 glasses of water
- Two bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of dried sage
- slices of 1 pound of andouille sausage
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups white rice with long grains
- Gather everything you need.
- After washing the beans, let them soak overnight in a large pot of water.
- Set a pan on medium heat and add the oil. For three to four minutes, cook the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil.
- Wash the beans and put them in a big pot with 6 cups of water.
- Boil vegetables and add them to the beans. Sage, parsley, thyme, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, and Cajun seasoning can be used to season the food.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a medium level. Cook for two and a half hours.
- Add the sausage to the beans and keep them simmering for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, get the rice ready.
- In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover, and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Put beans on top of white rice that has been steamed.
If you like this article about Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice Recipe-Learn in Simple Steps Please share this article with your friends and family members.